The Arizona Diamondbacks were plunged into confusion Monday night when All-Star second baseman Ketel Marte failed to show up at Fenway Park for the opener of a pivotal series against the Boston Red Sox — and was subsequently placed on Major League Baseball’s restricted list. Here’s a full breakdown of what happened, what’s been said, and why this moment carries extra weight given Marte’s history.
What Happened Monday Night
Marte traveled to Boston with the rest of the Diamondbacks roster and was even penciled into the lineup as the designated hitter for Monday’s series opener. The team reportedly held the lineup card back for roughly 20 minutes past the usual deadline, hoping he would still arrive at the ballpark in time. He never did.
With no explanation forthcoming, Arizona placed Marte on the restricted list before first pitch and called up infielder Jose Fernandez from Triple-A Reno to fill the roster spot. Fernandez went 1-for-3 in the game. The Diamondbacks went on to lose 11-1, a result that felt almost secondary to the mystery surrounding their star infielder’s absence.
Manager Torey Lovullo’s Comments
Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo addressed the situation after the loss, visibly searching for answers of his own. He said he had spoken with Marte both in the morning and afternoon but came away with little information about what was going on.
“It’s been a crazy day,” Lovullo told reporters, adding that all he knew was that Marte was “dealing with a personal issue” that the team was still trying to understand. He confirmed Marte had been placed on the restricted list and said he expected more details to emerge “in time.”
Lovullo also said he wasn’t entirely certain Marte was still in Boston, despite the team traveling there together after their weekend series in Atlanta. According to Nick Piecoro of AZ Central, sources indicated Marte was physically okay — he simply never made it to the stadium.
Teammates Caught Off Guard
Shortstop Geraldo Perdomo, one of Marte’s closest friends in the clubhouse, said he had no advance knowledge of the situation and hadn’t been in contact with Marte. He described the team as a “family” that would support Marte regardless of the circumstances, while emphasizing that the club’s focus needed to stay on winning games during a tight playoff race.
Why the Timing Matters: A Season-High Wild Card Battle
The absence couldn’t have come at a worse competitive moment. Entering Monday, Arizona sat at 66-59 (later 66-60 after the loss), just one game behind the San Diego Padres for the final National League Wild Card spot. Marte has been a central offensive piece for the Diamondbacks this season, hitting .249 with 21 home runs and 67 RBIs across 118 games — numbers that reflect his third career All-Star selection.
Complicating matters further, Marte’s absence arrived on a night the Diamondbacks were also managing an injury scare for third baseman Nolan Arenado, who sat out Sunday’s game in Atlanta with what the team described as “trunk discomfort.” Fernandez’s recall had actually been set up as insurance for Arenado, not anticipating he’d instead be needed to replace Marte entirely.
A Troubling Pattern: This Isn’t the First Time
What makes Monday’s episode especially notable is that it’s the second consecutive season Marte has unexpectedly gone missing from the team. Almost exactly one year earlier, Marte was placed on the restricted list after his home in Scottsdale, Arizona was burglarized during the All-Star break. He flew back to his native Dominican Republic, missed three games, and later apologized publicly for the absence, describing himself as frustrated and “in a bad spot” at the time.
There were also reports last year that some teammates had grown frustrated with Marte reportedly opting to take days off — a narrative Lovullo pushed back on publicly at the time, defending his star player.
Marte has also endured deeply personal tragedy connected to his career: in June 2025, a fan directed a derogatory comment at Marte referencing his late mother, who died in a car accident in the Dominican Republic in 2017. The incident left Marte in tears on the field, and MLB responded by banning the fan indefinitely from all of the league’s stadiums.
Contract Status and Trade Rumors
Marte was the subject of trade rumors over the winter, though the Diamondbacks reportedly set a high asking price and stopped engaging with offers in early January as they focused on building out their 2026 roster instead. In April, Marte reached 10 years of MLB service time, which granted him full no-trade rights — meaning any future trade would require his approval.
What Happens Next
As of Monday night, the Diamondbacks had not issued an official statement detailing the nature of Marte’s “personal issue,” and no timetable has been given for his potential return. Players on the restricted list do not accrue MLB service time and are not paid while on the list, though the designation is typically used for unexcused absences or personal circumstances rather than as a disciplinary suspension.
For now, Arizona will have to navigate a critical stretch of their wild-card push without one of their most productive hitters, leaning on Fernandez and the rest of their lineup while they wait for more clarity on Marte’s status.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
